RF-Dev | MMO Private Server Development
Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Development Ideas

I'm still working on re-organizing my file archives and setting up test servers. Once I'm all set up, I plan to start working on some various RF projects. Currently on the table are things like "fixed" file packs. Re-collecting all RF file versions, and making official "RF-Dev" repacks containing fully optimized server and client files.

I will also be working on various tools for server owners. Some of my older releases include RF CMS, a fully featured RF website content management system, a RF Online GM tool, DAT editors, server monitors, automatic server configuration tools, and much more.

I want to start off with filling gaps. I'm looking for any ideas for things that you'd like to see to help create or manage your own RF server. I'll take the most commonly requested subjects and turn them in to solutions for you guys. Feel free to mention anything that comes to mind. The more ideas, the better.

If you want to discuss anything privately, feel free to send me a message.

You must be a registered member of RF-Dev and logged in to view this content.

Definitely. Welcome back too! :)

Just want to make sure i follow, are you looking for ideas for development or subject areas people need help in?

Subject areas of help makes me think of bugs or "getting things working" at whatever rates, sell values, stats, etc. people are trying to achieve.

When i think of development ideas i think of changes that are not quality, quantity, etc. but are closer to "i want to change the way it was originally setup". For instance, npc changes, new uses for existing systems, like quests, pvp points, etc.

Just wanna make sure I don't mention stuff that's irrelevant to what your goal is initially. Also if these can be defined any clearer than what jumped into my mind right away, i'm all ears.

Looking for both actually. Anything that comes to mind that would be useful for people running their own RF servers.

The original "RF-Dev" site was intended to be a server owner "resource guide". I posted various development information and useful tools to use for RF development. Eventually I opened a forum, and the community started making their own guides, submitting new ideas, etc. I still have all of the releases people uploaded to the old site's forum file download system.

Check out rf-dev.com (the original site domain) on web archive. The formatting didn't archive right, but the text content is there so you can see what we did before.

"On another note, a developer that goes by the name of Fish has released a new program this week. He has given me permission to release it here on RF-Dev if I would like to. I'll give you guys some more info about this later." Ron I would be pleased if you release fish's "tools"  that you have I'm kinda a fan and had always tried to download his tools without sucess.. -_-  Now lets get back to Dev ideas, I think Auto Target System, BuffMe , item(pill ) that summon moobs (maybe a bunch of new effects coz those same ol are kinda boring ) and  movement using Siege Kit Is something  I would like to see, someone told me to look at world cup ball since its a "siege kit"  hehehe always had this dream, bout 10 year +-  since in my 1st time playing I was as an accretian xD 

Sorry bout my fail english its coz Imma brazilian boy

Regards

Some good ideas, thank you.

I don't think we'll do moving siege kits. Seems a little over powered to me.

just keep in mind, auto target will open the door to a lot more auto key press software to just bot without actually coding a bot. its currently what plagues redfox. at least with it disabled people would have to find or code bots that will hook into RF memory and then you can ban them knowing thats definitely what they're doing rather than tab target and spamming spacebar

ok so one idea i had that i knew was something i could never touch or come close to but seems plausible given someone who knew way more than me had the time to figure it out...

fixing animus ranks to cast spells. the 4th rank "ami" was supposed to have a chance to cast something, just like the special weaps from elan pb's do. anyways would love to fix that. also when i was thinking about fixing that i realized that accretian grenades are ammo that applies debuffs, so then i thought it'd be cool to have animus use ammo, you could change the ammo to be increased damage or maybe a few different spell options for the specific animus, inanna could have options like "refresh". i also thought it'd be really hard but imagine making 55 inanna or paimon useful because they carried a race buff, so like you could look up the code for the current race buffs, then you could copy it or whatever some  how. technically its a skill that is cast, so if you could get an animus to occasionally cast a spell or use an ammo that casts an occasional spell the way elan special weaps do, it could call an AOE buff making high level summons other than isis/hecate useful. 55inanna could have aoe 10% hp buff, 55pai could have 30%def buff or a 20%def20%avoid buff. 

a caveat idea for the siege kit- i see the advantage of siege kit being obviously OP damage, the counter play is that it's immobile and usually people can run out of range in time. maybe it'd be cool to include some action or potion type trigger when you cast siege kit to enter "siege mode" that it reduces range by 50 for 3 seconds. then if you have the default siege range increased by 50, when they first siege they have normal range, but if they plant their ass there and stay, their range will eventually increase. kind of makes me think of when snipers relax and hold their breath so they have better accuracy to make longer shots. 

tldr = longer you're sieged = longer siege range